It was a snow day here in Boston. Schools were closed and for most of the day, roads were pretty impassable. We got a foot or so of snow, and it was perfect for making a snowdog. The kids went out and spent the day with Hoover, who is now a happy and calm Border Collie. Life is good when you are a dog in this house.
While they were out playing, I worked on the dress, cutting it out. I’ll start sewing it tonight or maybe tomorrow. Now that I’ve done two muslins, it should go together pretty quickly. Stay tuned.
I’m still waiting on the Marfy patterns to arrive. I was hoping to have them this week, so I can do a series of posts on BeSewStylish.com. If they don’t get here tomorrow I’ll probably push off the jacket until next week. That’s alright, there is plenty to work on and write about.
Because the skirt of the dress will be significantly heavier than the silk bodice, I’ll put a petersham waist stay on the dress. Instead of doing a faced lining, I’ll self-line the bodice using the four main pattern pieces. I also changed the neckline on the dress to be a v-neck. This is because of the jacket pattern. It’s also because when I tried on the muslin, the neck was awfully high for a dress that is designed to be worn under a jacket. If I were making a LBD or other standalone dress with this pattern, the neck would be great, but I think it would be too dominating a feature with the Marfy jacket.
So that’s where it stands right now. I’ll keep you posted. Tomorrow the kids should be back in school, and I’ll hopefully have more time to work on the dress.